Thursday, January 25, 2018

Generosity

Behold, the back of my little Honda Accent! Filled to the brim with a variety of trays and pots that the folks at the Lexington Community Farm were happily giving away to any interested parties. A solid scrub, and I'll be able to put many of these trays to good use this season.



The theme of my post this week (as you may well have garnered from the title), is generosity. Over the last year and a half in this field, I've found that the farmers of New England are an incredibly generous lot. When I was offered my current position, I quickly realized that I had a lot to learn about varieties and cultural growing practices. So I reached out to friends... and friends of friends... who were successfully growing flowers across the region. These growers responded with warmth, and frankness, to my questions, and shared their expertise with such kindness and enthusiasm. It was absolutely lovely. I may have teared up a little at just how lovely it was. Just a little!

If you are based in the regions below, please check out these wonderful farmers and their produce. Many thanks to them!

Ben and Hannah Wolbach: Skinny Dip Farm, Little Compton, RI
Phoebe Poole: Weatherlow Florals, Westport, MA
Ruth Trimarchi: Wright-Locke Farm, Winchester, MA
Dawn King, Insight Meditation Center, Barre, MA
Dee Kanopkin, Land's Sake, Weston, MA
Boston-based grower and food enthusiast Momoko Hirose.
And Leanne Limoges, a former flower grower in Orange, MA.

Cheers!
Stacy


No comments:

Post a Comment