Monday, July 2, 2018

Flower Shares: Week Two

Hello everyone!

Oh my goodness, what a scorcher the last few days have been! I hope you all were able to find ways to be cool and comfortable... and that if you're a Massachusetts native like myself, you've found opportunities to say the word "scorcher" (ahem, "s-caw-chuh") as much as possible.

This week in your shares, you will find:

Ageratum
Amaranth
Ammi
Bachelor Buttons
Buplerum
Cleome
Cosmos
Cynoglossum
Dill
Larkspur
Salvia
Snapdragons
Statice
Stock
Strawflowers
Sunflowers
Verbena

I've so been enjoying seeing each variety of flower come to maturity. It was snowing when I first looked through my seed catalogues, so it's been amazing to see what some of these new-to-me plants look like in the field. Some varieties have blown me away, like the Double Click Cosmos. Even the lovely photos from Johnny's Selected Seeds couldn't quite do these blooms justice!



I'm also loving the Xanthos Cosmo, a petite variety perfect for bouquets and tiny arrangements. I'm hoping these guys will feature prominently at my friends' wedding this fall!



Other varieties have offered up other surprises. The cleome plant, for instance, bears a startling resemblance to the marijuana plant. Which certainly never came up in the seed catalogue! A lovely colleague stopped by last week to admire the flowers, and very gently inquired about my 50-foot bed of marijuana. I did some frantic googling, and was reassured to find that I was, in fact, growing "Spider Flower." The flower itself is really quite pretty, but with a sticky stem and strong-smelling leaves, I don't think this variety will make it into my future crop plan!



Thank you, as always, for your support and participation in our Flower Share. Wishing you a happy start to July!

Stacy

No comments:

Post a Comment